Hindley Junior & Infant School
Argyle Street, Hindley. WN2 3PN Tel. 01942 255339 Email. enquiries@admin.hindley.wigan.sch.uk

SEND How does the school know if a child needs extra help?


The four areas that can affect a child's ability to learn at categorised as:

  • Communication and interaction
  • Cognition and learning
  • Social, emotional and mental health difficulties
  • Sensory and/or physical needs

Some children may enter school with a complex physical or medical need identified by the local authority. These children will have an Education Health Care Plan and access a 'Resourced Place' at Hindley J & I. Some children may transfer schools with an EHCP which details the needs of the child and how to support them.

For all children we use our ongoing assessment for learning strategies and termly pupil progress meetings to discuss and monitor each individual pupil's progress and attainment.
All assessments seek to identify pupils making less than expected progress given their age and individual circumstances. This can be characterised by progress which:

  • is significantly slower than that of their peers starting from the same baseline
  • fails to match or better the child's previous rate of progress
  • fails to close the attainment gap between the child and their peers
  • widens the attainment gap
  • It can include progress in areas other than attainment

Children will be given support according to their need. It will be characterised by some children needing 'some support'; 'lots of support': or 'extensive support'. Parents/ carers will be informed about any support your child receives (this will be at parents evening)

All support will follow a cycle of Assess-Plan-Do-Review and will provide information about your child and their barriers to learning. Where interventions or booster sessions have not had significant impact, children may require ongoing level of 'some support' or to progress onto 'lots of' or 'extensive support'. This will be decided upon by using assessments will be made to decipher, what are the barriers to learning and agencies may be called upon.

A Pupil Action Plan (PAP) will be completed with the SENCo, class teacher and parent/carer, to set SMART targets to enable an evaluation of your child's needs and the best support needed. It is important that you attend meetings around the PAP as your input is valuable on meeting the needs of the child.

At Hindley J & I, social and emotional mental health (SEMH) is extremely important for a prerequisite of learning. The learning mentor actively supports children and families in need. Any referrals and concerns from teachers and / or parents related to SEMH needs, can be raised with the class teacher, SENCo or the learning mentor. In school assessments such as the Boxall Profile and Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire will be completed with the class teacher and parent / carers to ensure the right provision can be put in place. Some children may access the learning mentor for sessions to work on self-esteem, friendships, anger management and attachment issues. Referrals for counselling and other agency support can be accessed for those with severe mental health issues

Children will be identified as having a SEN using the Code of Practice (2014), where their learning difficulty or disability is severe and calls for special educational provision, namely provision different from or additional to that normally available to pupils of the same age, requiring 'lots of support'. This will mean that your child is placed on the schools SEN register.

Teachers and staff can raise concerns at any point with the schools SENCo Miss McKeever


If you have any concerns about something you see online, you can visit CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the button below