Hindley Junior & Infant School
Argyle Street, Hindley. WN2 3PN Tel. 01942 255339 Mob. 07759 969879 Email. enquiries@admin.hindley.wigan.sch.uk

School Admissions


***Consultation of Admission Arrangements***

Wigan Council are proposing changes to the way our school's admission process is done. Admission arrangements include the admission number and oversubscription criteria which are used to decide on the allocation of school places.

There are proposed changes to the over-subscription criteria for a number of Wigan primary and secondary schools for admission to Reception and Year 7 in September 2022. Our school is one of these that may change.

Changes to the admission arrangements for these schools may affect parents/carers applying for primary and secondary places from 2022 onwards.

This is your opportunity to comment on the proposed changes before admission arrangements for 2022/2023 are determined (by 28th February 2021).

The link below will give further details.




Thank you for showing an interest in applying for a place at Hindley Junior and Infant School. Choosing the correct school for your child is a big decision, and we are honoured that you are considering Hindley Junior and Infant School.
In the Wigan authority, children must start school in the September after they have turned Four.  As Hindley junior and Infant School is a community, Wigan Admissions team are in charge of dealing with all of our school applications and allocating places.

Make sure your register your interest at school

So we are aware that you would like a place at our school for your child, please complete a ‘Registration of Interest Form’ and hand it in to the school office otherwise we do not know that your child exists. These forms are available from the school office. This form is for our office use only and is not an application for a place at our school. Please complete all sections of the form in full and return to the school office bringing with you your child’s birth certificate and a recent utility bill, which we will photocopy for our records.
We will keep this form securely and contact you, either in writing or by telephone, when Wigan Council’s online application process opens.  If your child receives a place at our school we will use this information to get in touch with you.  If you are unsuccessful, we will confidentially dispose of the form by shredding it.

When does the application window open?

The Application process usually opens in late September or early October (of the year before your child starts school) and usually ends in the middle of the following January. The exact dates can be found on the Wigan Council School Admissions page below.
Applications for school places should ideally be completed online, however if this is not possible, please contact the school office for a paper copy.  Any paper applications we receive are sent to Wigan Council’s Admissions team.
Please ensure you have completed the online application process or the paper application form on or before the closing date, or you will be classed as a late applicant and may not receive a place at your choice of school.
If you have a child who already attends our school please make sure you include this in your application as this will mean you have a better chance of your child receiving a place at our school.
Parents will receive an email or a letter from the Admissions Department sometime in the Spring Term (Usually March or early April) informing them of the school their child has been allocated.

Can I appeal if I do not get offered a place at school?

Yes. Details of how to appeal if you are not successful can be found on the Wigan Council School Admissions link below. Please see the over-subscription criteria for Hindley Junior and Infant School below:
Where the school receives more applications than places available, the following oversubscription criteria will be applied once places have first been allocated to pupils who have an education health and care plan which names the school:
1. Looked after children and previously looked after children. Previously looked after children are children who were looked after, but ceased to be so because they were adopted (or became subject to a child arrangements order or special guardianship order). Applications for previously looked after children must be supported with appropriate evidence i.e. a copy of the adoption order, child arrangements order or special guardianship order.
2. Children who appear to the Local Authority to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care because they were adopted. A child is regarded as having been in state care in a place outside of England if they were accommodated by a public authority, a religious organisation or any other provider of care whose sole purpose is to benefit society. Applications must be supported with appropriate evidence that the child has been adopted from state care.
3. Children with physical and / or medical difficulties who the Local Authority have determined, following an assessment of the child’s needs, require a resourced place at the school.
4. Children whose older brothers or sisters attend the school and will still be there at the time of admission
5. Children who live closest to the school.

Note: Hindley J&I School is no longer providing resourced provision and parents are advised not to select the school solely for that reason alone. Please contact the Special Educational Needs and Disability Team on 01942 486 136 if you want to discuss your child’s needs further.



Useful links


Virtual Tour





If you have any concerns about something you see online, you can visit CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the button below.